LASIK Eye Surgery

LASIK is a popular laser eye surgery operation that is used to correct the visual errors of people specifically those who are farsighted and nearsighted and those who experience astigmatism. LASIK stands for laser in-situ keratomileusis.

LASIK is one of the many surgical procedures used in order to reshape one’s cornea. As a laser type of surgical method, the LASIK is operated by clearing the frontal part of eye in order for the light that travels through it to be in focus properly by the retina. The retina is situated at the back of the eye.

What are the benefits of LASIK?

LASIK is a proven method of surgical operation that restores the vision of patients. Research estimates that at least 96 percent of patients who undergo the LASIK surgical operation receive back their normal eyesight. The other 4 percent will have their 20/20 vision back after undergoing further enhancement.

LASIK surgical patients testified that the operation involves minimal pain in that there are numbing drops that are used so that the patient will be comfortable during the duration of the operation. One’s vision is immediately restored after the operation or the day after. There are also no stitches and bandages involved in LASIK.

If you had a LASIK operation and if ever your vision changes when you age, adjustments or enhancements can be easily made to get your vision back to normal.
Patients who have undergone the procedure are reported to have reduced dependency on eyeglasses or contact lenses and even most of them did not go back on using these visual tools.

How do you prepare yourself for LASIK surgery?

Before your scheduled eye surgery, you will meet with your eye surgeon. He will discuss with you what will happen during and after the operation. In the meeting, the doctor will go through your medical history. This will be thoroughly evaluated and your eyes will be carefully examined so as to decipher if you are fit to undergo LASIK eye surgery.

Some of the tests that will be conducted are measuring the thickness of your cornea, pupil dilation, corneal mapping and refraction. After this initial test, you will discuss with your surgeon the results and will prepare you for your operation.

Steven Collins